Safety and Support – Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The health and safety of our drivers and riders is always our priority here at Ola. As you will know, coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to affect people around the world and the situation is changing very quickly.
We are carefully following developments and working with health authorities to put into action the latest rules and advice. The Australian Government is taking steps to reduce the spread of coronavirus including mandatory 14 day self isolation for visiting or returning travellers. You can find out more on the Australian Government Department of Health’s website.
The latest government advice for rideshare drivers is available here.
Supporting our drivers and riders:
- Working with authorities to put the accounts of exposed or affected drivers and riders on hold as soon as we are made aware.
- By informing our drivers of the latest recommendations including having a clean and well-maintained car, driving with their car windows open when possible while carrying passengers; disinfect surfaces if a passenger coughs or sneezes in their car; and regularly clean high-touch surfaces with disinfectant.
- We are working on providing support to our drivers and reviewing the best way to do this. Further communications will be made to our drivers as soon as we have finalised our plan.
- Working with various organisations and businesses to enable our services to be used for essential services.
- Drivers can also access free counselling services here.
- Ensuring our drivers are informed and acting on the latest government advice for rideshare drivers which is available here.
- Regularly sharing information with our community to keep them up to date with the latest government rules and advice including the latest rules on self isolation from the Australian Government Department of Health’s website.
Regularly clean and disinfect your car
Here some tips for further cleaning to help you reduce the risk of infection to you and your passengers.
- Increase the frequency of your car cleaning
- Wear gloves when cleaning your car
- Ensure you clean with alcohol-based disinfectant with over 60% alcohol
- Make sure you regularly clean high touch areas. These include;
- The outside of the doors including in and around door handles and the door jam
- The seats, inside door handle, seat belts and window controls
Important information for our drivers
How to prepare:
Assess yourself. Don’t log on to pick up passengers if you are feeling unwell.
Practice good hygiene. Wash your hands with soap and running water for at least 20 seconds regularly including in breaks.
Keep a sanitisation kit in your car. Your sanitisation kit should consist of a hand sanitiser, disinfectant spray, disinfectant wipes, packet of tissues and surgical gloves.
When you’re on the road:
Minimise coughs and sneezes. Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing and use a tissue. Cough or sneeze into your elbow if you don’t have a tissue. You should not be on the road picking up passengers if you are unwell.
Clean and disinfect regularly. Regularly clean and disinfect high touch surfaces including door handles, car seats and windows using an alcohol-based cleaner with over 60% alcohol.
When you pick up your passenger
Maintain a social distance. Practice social distancing. If you are picking up only 1 or 2 passengers, ask your passengers to sit on the back seat.
Picking up international travellers.
If you pick up a passenger from the international airport, you must make sure that your passenger follows Australian Government advice and wear a surgical mask. If they refuse to do so, you should refuse the ride unless and until they do so.
Instructions to your passengers. Your international travellers must take the following precautions:
- avoid direct contact with you
- practice good cough/sneeze hygiene
- dispose of tissues outside of the car
- use alcohol-based hand sanitiser
If your passenger is showing signs or symptoms of being unwell such as coughing, sniffling or sneezing, report the passenger to Ola so we can investigate the matter and, where appropriate, suspend the passenger from the Ola platform for 14 days
After dropping off your passenger employ standard cleaning practices.
As part of good hygiene practice, you should employ a standard cleaning routine after dropping off your passenger and at the end of each shift. If your passenger was spreading droplets (sneezing, coughing or vomiting), you must clean surfaces with appropriate disinfectant wipes so that the potential spread of infection can be minimised.