Driver support package for COVID-19
Driver relief fund program FAQs
Eligible Ola drivers in Australia who are affected by the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic or who are required to self-isolate due to the pandemic will be entitled to a payout under our Driver Relief Fund.
Am I an eligible driver?
You are an eligible driver if you have been actively driving for Ola between 20 February 2020 and 20 March 2020.
You are considered to be actively driving for Ola if you have made 30 completed trips during that time.
When am I entitled to a payout?
If you are an eligible driver, you are entitled to a payout if:
- you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or if you have been required to self-isolate in accordance with official guidelines of the public health authorities; and
- you have reported to Ola of your circumstances in paragraph (a) within 48 hours of such diagnosis or requirement, or if you are unwell, as soon as reasonably practicable thereafter.
The Australian Department of Health’s guidelines are available here. Each state or territory’s public health authority may have additional guidelines.
For example, you may be required to self-isolate if you have returned from overseas on or after 16 March 2020.
How much will I be paid?
Provided that you meet all of the terms and conditions of payout, you will be paid for up to 14 days the daily amount you would have earned if you had been able to drive for Ola had you not been diagnosed with COVID-19 or been required to self-isolate..
We calculate the amount you would have earned:
- by taking your average daily earnings with Ola between 20 February 2020 and 20 March 2020 less the cost of operating your car (including fuel and car maintenance expenses), which we have deemed to be 25% of such average daily earnings; and
- multiply the net amount by 14 days.
Are there any exclusions?
The Driver Relief Fund is only available to eligible drivers who are not able to receive or participate in any financial assistance program offered by the Australian Federal or State or Territory governments.
What proof must I have to show that I am eligible?
You must provide at least one of the following documents to Ola:
- a certificate from your GP, hospital or testing clinic that you have been diagnosed with COVID-19; or
- a certificate or letter from your GP or public health authority that you have been required to self-isolate according to official guidelines; or
- evidence of having recently returned from overseas such as your passport with an immigration return stamp; or
- any other document or evidence which you have to show that you are an eligible driver.
Reporting and claims management process
When must I report to Ola?
You must report to Ola of the fact that you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or you have been required to self-isolate in accordance with official guidelines of the public health authorities by emailing to email@example.com within 48 hours of such diagnosis or requirement or, if you are unwell, as soon as reasonably practicable thereafter.
When we receive your report, Ola will place your account on hold because you are not able to drive for Ola during the period you are recovering from the infection or in isolation.
When must I submit a claim with Ola?
You should submit your claim for a payout at the same time as making a report to Ola and in any event, by the Expiry Date.
How do I make a claim?
You must make a claim for a payout by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org together with all the required documentation.
Subject to meeting all terms and conditions of the Driver Relief Fund program (below), claims will be processed by Ola and a payout will be made to your registered account.
When do I get paid?
We will process your payout as quickly as possible and in any event, within 7 days of making the claim. However, if we experience a significant number of claims, you may experience a delay of the payout.
What happens next?
Once you are recovered from the infection or once your self-isolation period is over and you feel that you are fit to return to drive for Ola, you should email to email@example.com together with a certificate of clearance for work.
When we get the certificate, unless we have any questions we need to ask you, we will proceed to reactivate your Ola account. This means that you can resume driving on the Ola platform again.
For full terms and conditions of the Driver Relief Fund program, please see below.
Terms and conditions
Ola drivers in Australia who are affected by the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic or who are required to self-isolate due to the pandemic will be entitled to a payout under our Driver Relief Fund in accordance with the following terms:
- Program name: Driver Relief Fund
- Coverage: The Driver Relief Fund covers drivers who are Active Drivers of Ola prior to Commencement Date
- Eligibility: An Active Driver must meet all of the following conditions to be eligible to make a claim under the Driver Relief Fund:
- has been diagnosed with COVID-19; or has been required to self-isolate in accordance with Official Guidelines;
- has notified Ola at firstname.lastname@example.org of such diagnosis or requirement under clause 3(a) within 48 hours of the same, or, if unwell due to the infection, as soon as reasonably practicable thereafter; and
- whose Ola account has been suspended or deactivated as a result of clause 3(b)
- Exclusions: The Driver Relief Fund does not apply to any Active Driver who is eligible for any government financial assistance program covering the period which the Active Driver’s Ola account has been suspended in accordance with clause 3(c)
- Documentation: An Active Driver is only entitled to make a claim if they provide any one of the following documentation:
- submit a certificate from a registered medical practitioner or health authority stating that have been diagnosed with COVID-19; or been required to self-isolate due to COVID-19 in accordance with Official Guidelines;
- submit any other form of documentation showing evidence that they have been required to self-isolate due to COVID-19 in accordance with Official Guidelines including for example, a passport with an Australian entry stamp dated 16 March or thereafter (being the date when all international travellers were required to self-isolate)
- Payout: A driver meeting all of the terms of the Driver Relief Fund contained here will be entitled to make a claim for a Payout
- Program term:
- The Driver Relief Fund program will commence on Commencement Date and will expire on Expiry Date
- It is at Ola’s sole and absolute discretion to continue or discontinue the availability of the Driver Relief Fund, or to modify any of the Payout criteria described in these terms, at any time during the term of the Driver Relief Fund program
- No Payouts may be made for any claims submitted after the Expiry Date
- Claims management:
- All claims for Payout must be submitted to email@example.com with the requisite documentation under clause 5
- Subject to meeting all other conditions in these terms, claims will be processed by Ola and a Payout will be made to the Active Driver’s registered account with Ola
- Notwithstanding any other clauses in these terms including clause 8(b), Payout is at Ola’s sole and absolute discretion and any decisions made by Ola to withhold Payout or any part thereof cannot be challenged or disputed by a driver or any other party for and on behalf of the driver
- Reactivating on Ola: Any driver whose account has been suspended or deactivated under clause 3(c) may only be reactivated on the Ola platform on the following conditions:
- The driver has submitted a certificate of clearance for work to firstname.lastname@example.org by a registered medical practitioner
- The certificate must state the following:
- that the drover has either been diagnosed with COVID-19; or been required to self-isolate due to COVID-19 in accordance with Official Guidelines; and
- that the driver is fit to return to work
- Active Driver means a driver who has completed more than 30 completed bookings with Ola between 20 February 2020 and 20 March 2020
- Average Daily Earnings mean the average daily earnings of the driver between 20 February 2020 and 20 March 2020
- Average Daily Car Expenses mean the average daily car expenses of the driver (including fuel and other expenses), being, for the purposes of the Payout, deemed to be 25% of the Average Daily Earnings
- Commencement Date means 21 March 2020
- Expiry Date means 12 April 2020 or any extensions thereafter, as determined by Ola from time to time and published on this page
- Official Guidelines mean the applicable Federal, State or Territory Health Guidelines on self-isolation
- Payout means the amount equivalent to 14 days multiplied by the [Average Daily Earnings less Average Daily Car Expenses] of the driver